Saturday, December 3, 2011

Creating My Dream Dorm

I am so excited to be going back to school in January! Mostly because I get a single room this year and that means no roommate for me! I've always shared my dorms with my best friend and it's an understatement to say it can be hard to find a middle ground on how to decorate our room. Ever since I was told my room assignment I've been searching the internet for inspiration and neat crafts to do. Here are a couple that I'm super excited about. I wish I could put all of my ideas on here but I literally have a whole list of websites and blogs taking up room in my bookmarks.



I am in crazy love with the whimsical feel of the sheer canopy over the bed mixed with the lighting from the Christmas lights. One thing I never had in my past dorms was mood lighting, instead we had the one huge fluorescent light that was anchored above my door and sometimes a desk lamp. It was horrible to wake up, with it still dark outside (For the record: I hate 8 AM classes), and have to practically blind myself to have any light in my room. Sadly, I can't remember where I found this picture or I would have asked to use it. If I'm using your picture: first, let me say I love your room and second, if you'd like me to take it down please let me know!





Recently, I've really enjoyed showing off my very own simple artwork or any diy projects that I have done. I think it adds a personalized touch to a room, especially a bedroom or a dorm, which can end up looking like a Target or Wal-mart commercial. I painted the owl at Sips n Strokes with the ladies in my family. It ended up looking nothing like the painting we were learning from, but I think all the differences are what makes it really cute and quirky. I wish I could claim I painted the fiery horse! I actually was lucky enough to win it in an auction for charity, and I can't wait to add it to my dorm room along with my owl. 
Besides the handmade artwork I've also found that online there are many free printable pieces of art that many kind artists and graphic designers are offering. Some artists that I am planning on using are Amanda from Kind Over Matter and a couple of the artists featured on Indie Fixx written by Jen.





I found this gem over at How-Tuesday on the Etsy Blog. How cute would it be to have this in a dorm! They give a great tutorial on how to create this cute rug and I'm planning on making it in either black and white felt or in my schools color's of navy blue and white.


How about you? What do you want in your dream dorm?

-E

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas for your room. I'm looking forward to see your before & after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you for your next semester in college. I hope you get it decorated to your hearts content!! I will be so glad to follow your blog. It is so adorable, just like you!!

    ReplyDelete